Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Reading is Fundamental

I love books. From as long as I can remember, I loved reading. Well I need to clarify, I loved reading Fiction. As a child, I never asked my parents for specific toys or clothes. In fact, I could care less about these items.  However, monthly when the teacher would hand out the Scholastic Book order form, I could not wait to get home and select my books and ask my parents to indulge in my book addiction. I remember my favorite books at the time were "The Babysitters Club" series. My library was quite extensive. As I got older, I continued to read and most times when I was not allowed to hang out with my friends, one could find me on the front steps reading. My genre at the time was African American fiction. As an adult, I continue to read and have discovered a new best friend - my library card. I read books entirely too quickly to purchase and most importantly, I do not have space to store these books. Not only have I changed from how I acquire my books but my taste in books has changed slightly as well. I have developed a new found love of African American Christian Fiction. I am not sure if it has to do with my desire to live a better Christian life but these books speak to my soul. My ultimate goal is to start a book club dedicated to reading these books and discussing how these books relate to our lives and in the world today. I credit my love of books to my Dad who definitely believed in reading and my baby boy is following in our footsteps. He loves books as well, especially when it is time to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment